Sunday, October 2, 2011

Andy Murray wins the final Thailand Open



BANGKOK -- Fourth-ranked Andy Murray claimed his 19th career title in beating American Donald Young 6-2, 6-0 in the final of the Thailand Open on Sunday.The top-seeded Briton was in complete control throughout the 48-minute match, exploiting the... lack of experience and unforced errors from his 55th-ranked opponent. Young was playing in his first tour final. Murray opened the match at Impact Arena by jumping out to a double break lead of 4-0. Young finally got on the board to make it 5-1 but lost the first set when Murray hit an overhead smash winner.

Young, 22, admitted he had been well beaten by an in-form Murray. "This was my first final, I wasn't nervous, but he just took me out of my game. I still can't be disappointed about the week, getting to the top 50 has been one of my goals. He played very well and I couldn't do much." Murray now travels to Tokyo to play in a field featuring Rafael Nadal. He said that despite his success this week, nothing is guaranteed on court. "It's a big change of surface and Tokyo's not that close," he said, referring to jet lag. "I may have to be realistic in my expectations a bit. "But this was a great week for me and it helps to begin the Asian swing like this."

No comments:

Post a Comment