Monday, October 3, 2011

Ed Carpenter wins the IZOD IndyCar Series Kentucky


SPARTA, Ky. -- It's that time of the season when the focus is on Dixon, Franchitti and Power -- the guys running for the IndyCar championship. It means the also-rans get overlooked, even when they've proven they can be a player. Ed Carpenter did just that Sunday at Kentucky Speedway. Carpenter scored his first career IndyCar victory by beating Dario Franchitti in a wheel-to-wheel battle to the checkered flag in the closest finish in track history. Even though he had finished second here the previous two years, there was no buzz about Carpenter before the race began. "I've always known that I've belonged, but until you win one, there are always going to be people who think different," shrugged Carpenter, who gave Sarah Fisher Racing its first victory.

The margin of victory of .0098 seconds was the sixth closest in IndyCar history, and Carpenter had no explanation for why Kentucky has been so good for him."I think all drivers have race tracks that they just really enjoy," Carpenter said. "This place has changed every year. I've been on the podium the last three years with three different teams and three different setups. I'm just comfortable here. I don't know what it is, I like coming here."

No comments:

Post a Comment