Friday, October 7, 2011

Tiger Woods disappointing, shooting 2 over par 73


SAN MARTIN, Anyone expecting a new and improved version of Tiger Woods saw much of the same old thing Thursday. An early birdie to raise hopes. A sudden tumble. And he couldn’t make a putt. In his first tournament in seven weeks, Woods went 13 holes between his only two birdies at the Frys.com Open and had a 2-over 73 that put him in danger of missing consecutive cuts for... the first time in his career. “That’s probably one of the worst putting rounds I’ve ever had,” Woods said. “I can’t putt the ball any worse than I did today.” Woods is tied for 83rd, with the top 70 and ties making the 36-hole cut on Friday. "I'm not happy," Woods said immediately after his round. "It's one of my worst putting rounds. I don't think I could putt worse than I did."

Woods is playing in his first tournament since the PGA Championship, where he missed the cut seven weeks ago. It is just his ninth start of the year on the PGA Tour and only his fourth since he tied for fourth at the Masters in April. "The rest of the game was not too bad. I hit some bad shots, yes. But also I hit some really good ones. And very pleased at the shots I was hitting most of the day," Woods said. "But I got nothing out of the round on the greens. And whatever momentum I could have gotten by hitting good shots, you know, I just missed putts." For the round, Woods hit 7 of 14 fairways and 9 of 18 greens."Well, I'm just playing to get competitive and win a golf tournament. It's not about validation. It's about going out there and playing, and right now I'm six back," Woods said. " I need to put together a good round tomorrow and gradually piece my way back into the tournament."

No comments:

Post a Comment