Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sergio Martinez managed to retain his WBC Diamond middleweight title!


ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Argentina's Sergio Martinez retained the WBC Diamond middleweight title, stopping Englishman Darren Barker in the 11th round Saturday night at Boardwalk Hall. Martinez (48-2-2, 27 KOs) landed a straight right that put Barker (23-1, 14 KOs) on the canvas. Barker tried to... get up after a few seconds, but was still on the ground when referee Eddie Cotton completed his 10-count at 1:29 of the round.
Barker had some success early in the fight, landing some jabs and a few straight rights that broke Martinez's nose in the fourth round. But from the fifth round on, Martinez dominated the fight behind three- and four-punch flurries that left Barker covering up for most of the bout.“I knew it would be this kind of fight,” Martinez said through an interpreter. “I planned for this. I always get a second wind. We train for that. It’s part of our game plan going in. We knew we would get stronger as the fight went on. I just kept throwing right hands because I knew sooner or later they would start landing.”



“I’ll fight anybody,” Martinez said, “as long as I can come to a good deal and so can my rival.”

No comments:

Post a Comment